Ben Service, M.D., FAAOS, is a fellowship-trained, board certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in shoulder surgery, elbow surgery, and fracture care. Dr. Service has clinical academic appointments as Assistant Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at the University of Central Florida College of Medicine and Clinical Assistant Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at the Florida State University College of Medicine.
Dr. Service received his bachelor of science in biology from Florida Atlantic University, graduating magna cum laude. He received his medical degree from the University of Florida College of Medicine and was inducted into the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society and Gold Humanism Honor Society. He served his residency in orthopedic surgery at Orlando Health and completed his fellowship in shoulder and elbow surgery at the University of Washington.
Research and innovation are very important to Dr. Service. He contributed to research published in esteemed journals including the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, and the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. Furthermore, he co-authored book chapters about elbow ligament reconstruction and fracture management. Dr. Service has given podium and poster presentations at the annual meetings of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Orthopaedic Trauma Association and the Southern Orthopedic Association. He enjoys teaching residents, fellows, medical students and pre-professional students.
Dr. Service is a member of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, and the Florida Orthopaedic Society.
His practice focuses on treating problems that affect the shoulder and elbow. He is a high-volume shoulder arthroplasty surgeon and has significant experience with reverse shoulder arthroplasty, anatomic total shoulder arthroplasty, revision shoulder surgery, and the “ream and run” shoulder hemiarthroplasty with glenoid reaming. Fractures of the shoulder and elbow are routinely treated by Dr. Service with surgery, but he also uses non-surgical management when appropriate. He frequently uses arthroscopic surgery as a minimally invasive approach to treat a variety of shoulder problems including rotator cuff tears, biceps tendon pathology, subacromial bursitis, AC joint arthritis, and labral tears.
Supporting the local community, Dr. Service takes both hospital and emergency orthopedic call. While taking call, he regularly treats acute fractures and orthopedic problems of all types.
Outside of work, he enjoys spending time with his family, fishing, reading, and watching movies.
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Medical Education University of Florida College of Medicine
Residency Orlando Health
Fellowship University of Washington Medical Center
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Does Postoperative Glenoid Retroversion Affect the 2-Year Clinical and Radiographic Outcomes for Total Shoulder Arthroplasty? Service BC, Hsu JE, Somerson JS, Russ SM, Matsen FA 3rd. Clin Orthop Rel Res. 2017 Nov;475(11):2726-2739. Epub 2017 Jul 5. PMID: 28681354
Does Postoperative Glenoid Retroversion Affect the 2-Year Clinical and Radiographic Outcomes for Total Shoulder Arthroplasty?
- Is there evidence that the outcomes of primary anatomic and reverse shoulder arthroplasty are getting better? Somerson JS, Neradilek MB, Hsu JE, Service BC, Gee AO, Matsen FA 3rd. Int Orthop. 2017 Jun;41(6):1235-1244. Epub 2017 Mar 28. PMID: 28353051
- Clinical and Radiographic Outcomes of the Ream-and-Run Procedure for Primary Glenohumeral Arthritis. Somerson JS, Neradilek MB, Service BC, Hsu JE, Russ SM, Matsen FA 3rd. J Bone and Joint Surg Am. 2017 Aug 2;99(15):1291-1304. PMID: 28763415
Medically Necessary Orthopaedic Surgery During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Safe Surgical
Practices and a Classification to Guide Treatment. Service BC, Collins AP, Crespo A, Couto P,
Gupta S, Avilucea F, Kupiszewski S, Langford J, Lewellyn B, Petrie J, Zumsteg JW, Zeini IM,
Osbahr DC, Haidukewych GJ, Romeo AA. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2020 May 13. doi:
10.2106/JBJS.20.00599. Online ahead of print. PMID: 32404718
Medically Necessary Orthopaedic Surgery During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Novel Fixation of Medial Epicondyle Fractures in a Throwing Athlete Using Suture Bridge
Technique. Gupta S, Service BC, Service J, Zeini IM, Osbahr DC. JSES International (2020),
Published: Nov 23, 2020. PMID: 33554157
Novel fixation of medial epicondyle fractures in a throwing athlete using suture bridge technique
Predictors of Performance on the Arthrobox Arthroscopy Simulator for Medical Students.
Richey BP, Deal MJ, Baker A, Mason EM, Zeini IM, Osbahr DC, Service BC. Arthrosc Sports
Med Rehabil. 2020 Oct 23;2(6):e829-e837. eCollection 2020 Dec. PMID 33376998
Predictors of Performance on the Arthrobox Arthroscopy Simulator for Medical Students
- Innate Arthroscopic & Laparoscopic Surgical Skills: A Systematic Review of Predictive Performance Indicators Within Novice Surgical Trainees. Mason EM, Deal MJ, Richey BP, Baker A, Zeini IM, Service BC, Osbahr DC. J Surg Educ. 2021 Jan-Feb;78(1):178-200. Epub June 24, 2020. PMID:32591323
- Elbow Dislocation. Rezaie N, Gupta S, Service BC, Osbahr DC. Clin Sports Med. 2020 Jul;39(3):637-655. doi: 10.1016/j.csm.2020.02.009. PMID: 32446580
- Needlestick and sharps injuries in orthopedic surgery residents and fellows. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. Snavely JE, Service BC, Miller D, Langford JR, Koval KJ. 2019 Nov;40(11):1253- 1257. doi: 10.1017/ice.2019.262. PMID: 31556364
- The Detection of Prominent Hardware in Volar Locked Plating of Distal Radius Fractures: Intraoperative Fluoroscopy Versus Computed Tomography. Ganesh D, Service B, Zirgibel B, Koval K. J Orthop Trauma. 2016 Nov;30(11):618-621 PMID: 27769074
- Influence of Femoral Component Design on Retrograde Femoral Nail Starting Point. Service BC, Kang W, Turnbull N, Langford J, Haidukewych G, Koval KJ; J Orthop Trauma. 2015 Oct;29(10):e380-4. PMID: 25932527
- Controversies in the Management of Distal Radius Fractures
- Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction: Alternative Surgical Techniques. Benjamin C. Service, Neal S. ElAttrache and Daryl C. Osbahr. Chapter 19, Elbow Ulnar Collateral Ligament Injury. Dines, J.; Altchek, D. (Eds.); Springer, April 14, 2015. ISBN-13: 978- 1489975393
- Intertrochanteric Hip Fractures: Arthroplasty. Haidukewych GJ, Service B. Chapter 19, Masters Techniques in Orthopedic Trauma, Third Edition. Wiss D. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Nov. 7, 2012. ISBN-13: 978-1451108149
Other Publications and Articles
- Evidence grows for use of medical cannabis in the treatment of chronic pain. Benjamin C. Service, Ibrahim M. Zeini, Matthew J. Deal, Alexandra Baker. Healio.com, Orthopedicstoday, Total Joint Reconstruction section. Sept. 29, 2020.
Get Adobe ReaderYou will need the Adobe Reader to view & print these documents.
7243 Della Dr.
Floor 2, Suite I
Orlando, FL 32819